Wednesday 1 October 2014

Hair Care Tips from Gilbert

~AG~

So after my appointment with Gilbert @ Kenaris Salon yesterday, I learned new tips on hair care.
  1. On my previous visit, he mentioned that to make hair treatment lasts longer, I should wash and rinse my hair with cold water. He added that using warm water to wash hair "dissolves" the protective layer created by the hair treatment. I tried this tip after my Redken hair treatment in June. My hair stayed soft and smooth for over three weeks. Usually, the effects of hair treatment only last me for a week.
  2. During my first consultation with him, Gilbert noticed that I had very little hair around my forehead. He mentioned that this was a result of tying my hair too tight in a pony tail. He recommend the scalp treatment for me then. During my hair appointment yesterday, his assistant who washed and did the keratin treatment, asked whether I had hair loss. The assistant mentioned that quite a bit of hair fall out when she washed and combed my hair. I told her that I also noticed that more of my hair is falling out now compared to before. She then recommended a toner for my scalp. I asked whether it was okay to use the scalp toner after keratin treatment, she said it was okay. However, when I asked Gilbert about it, he told me not to use the scalp toner now since the toner will get to the rest of the hair during hair wash. The scalp toner will strip the keratin properties that was sealed by the treatment. The product that was recommended to me was Redken Cerafill line for thinning hair. Supposedly, it is a new product from Redken and my hairstylist claims it works better than Kerastase. http://www.redken.com/thinning-hair/cerafill-difference/
  3. Use hair serum and hair oil when your hair is completely dry. When you do it when your hair is wet, the hair serum (that is oil-based) will not be absorbed well into the hair. This is basic science - water and oil do not mix well together. Rather they separate when mixed together.
  4. Leave-in conditioner is a big no-no. He mentioned that leave-in conditioner is made up of 80% oil. Even if you only put it on your ends, when you tie up your hair, the oil will trickle down to your scalp. Thus, it will clog up your scalp. He mentioned that it is more beneficial to leave on rinse off hair mask/conditioner for a longer period of time then to use leave-in conditioner.
  5. To maximize my keratin treatment, he mentioned that I should try reducing my hair wash frequency to every other day. He said that I can "dry clean" my hair by using baby powder. PS: This trick I have already known before.
I LOVE it when hairstylists are willing to impart their tips and tricks. It feels as though he or she is truly concern about my hair care instead of just getting money from services and products.




3 comments:

  1. I've noticed a huge difference in my hair since I started getting Keratin protein treatment- it's much healthier and stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In order to use other ways, a person must regularly see a stylist or use medicated shampoos or conditioners. All of these raise the price of upkeep. Additionally, this maintenance expense must be covered all year long. Thus, hair transplant provides a permanent fix.

    ReplyDelete