Wednesday 27 July 2016

SPONSORED: Tokio Sinka Straightening and Perm Experience @ Rubik Hair Salon


~AG~

This is my second sponsored hair salon experience which was made possible by Agent G of BeautyUndercover. About six months ago, I had went for Mucota Omega Therapy and loved the results! Since then, my natural wavy roots has grown out and became unbearable. This time Agent G recommended the Tokio Sinka System @ Rubik Hair Salon which is located at Raffles Hotel Shopping Arcade. The hairstylist responsible for my hair was the founder of Rubik Hair Salon, Yohei. He has been working in Singapore for over 10 years, and can converse in English fluently. I did not have any issues communicating with him throughout the service. Yohei is VERY experienced in hair cutting and other hair services. He is meticulous in his work, and tries to give his best to his customers. The experience at Rubik was unlike any other hair salons that I have been to. The hairstylist tend to you from the start to the beginning.

Tokio Sinka Straightening system is the latest rebonding technology in Singapore. Tokio cream contains Fullerene, a very potent molecule, that allows rebonding or perms to be done at a much lower temperature of about 60 degrees Celsius. Fullerene has antioxidant properties, which is 120 times more potent than Vitamin C. During the Tokio Sinka straightening process, there was a lot of treatment (keratin) added to the hair. The usual rebonding or perming methods requires a higher heat of at least twice that amount. This means less damage to the hair. Tokio straightening and perming methods works for those that have wavy and unruly hair like me. Since the Tokio Sinka system is gentle on the hair, it also works for those with processed (bleached or colored) hair. Yohei was quick to add that those with tightly curled hair would not see as much difference in their hair texture, as Tokio system does not result in pin straight hair.

Consultation
Yohei asked what I wanted to do with my hair. I told him that I wanted to straighten the unruly part of my hair, and get a trim. After carefully examining my hair, Yohei said that if he trimmed my ends, my existing C-curls will be snipped of. Yohei asked whether I wanted to curl the ends as well. As I like my C-curl ends, I agreed to let Yohei work his magic. Agent G suggested a see through bangs for me, and Yohei said to see how my hair natural parting falls after the hair washing.
Yohei checking my hair condition
The kinks were very obvious
My natural wavy and unruly hair
With the lovely Yohei
Hair washing
Yohei washed my hair and gave the most AMAZING head massage. I could feel all the tensions being released from my body, and I felt instantly relaxed. At the hair washing sink, Yohei placed a soft towel on my eyes area which made the whole process more comfortable. The final step of the hair washing process included a warm, floral-scented towel being placed on the neck. It was a major plus, I have never had any hair stylist place a warm towel to soothe my tired neck. Such an experience!
Throughly washing my hair before treatment
The MOST amazing head massage from Yohei
Hair cutting
I wanted to maintain my hair length, but Yohei suggested more layers to make it less heavy. Also, I wanted a nice fringe to disguise my high forehead. After the hair washing, Yohei said that my fringe can be styled for a see through look. My previous hairstylists usually create a side swept fringe that is too "heavy" on one side due to the nature of my hair. Yohei added layers to the front of my face to better frame my face. After cutting my hair, Yohei rinsed my hair once more with water and then with carbonated water. The carbonated water works to remove excess residue so that the debonding cream can be penetrated throughly by the hair.

Explaining how he will cut my hair to maintain the length

Application of Debonding Cream
Yohei applied three different strengths of the Tokio Straightening cream to my hair. I love how he customized the Tokio Inkarami system according to my hair needs. The strongest cream to the most unruly part (top part), the normal strength to the inner part and the lightest strength to the ends of my hair. The debonding cream was left on for 20 minutes, covered with plastic wrap and treated with heat for better penetration.
Here Emi is assisting Yohei with the application of debonding cream

After 20 minutes was up, Yohei rinsed the debonding cream with water. Then, he also rinsed my hair with carbonated water. Yohei is very detailed in his treatment process.  He explained that it is essential to rinse throughly the debonding cream so that it will not interfere with the function of the neutralizers. Yohei used the carbonated water three times throughout the whole process.

Hair drying and flat ironing
After throughly blow drying my hair, Yohei with the help of Emi straightened section by section of my hair using a narrow-width hair straightener.
Carefully straightening each section
Then, Yohei used a Digi clip to curl my ends. The Digi clip was set at 60 degrees. Yohei then used a large barrel tong to curl my fringe. This was so that my fringe will fall better to cover my forehead.
Curling my fringe
1950s fringe. Yohei said it would not look like this afterwards
Application of Neutralizers
The next step was the application of neutralizer thoroughly onto my hair. The smell of the neutralizer was surprisingly pleasant. It did not smell of too much chemical.
Finishing Touch
After a final washing with water as well as carbonated water, it was time for the final touches. Yohei cut my hair again to get the desired look. He paid special attention to the fringe as I had requested for a fringe to disguise my high forehead.

Snipping my fringe to get a see through look

Adding more layers to my hair
Blowdrying is a must
Yohei is great at explaining hair care tips, which opened my eyes to a whole new way for caring for my hair. Blow drying your hair, especially the hair closest to the roots, is essential. Wet hair is especially vulnerable to damage. In addition, air drying your hair results in your scalp producing more oil to fight off the bacteria that can be aggravated from the moistness of the scalp. According to Yohei, it is important to close off the cuticle by blow drying, so the hair shaft will not become frizzy.  Air drying also results in the hair's natural oils and nutrients to be diffused into the air, affecting the long-term health of the hair. Most importantly for those with permed hair, blowdrying hair at the roots will determine the direction of of the curls at the end.
Yohei explaining the nature of the hair to form the letter 'C'

When I asked Yohei how long I had to wait to wash my hair, surprisingly he said I could wash it the next morning. Yohei mentioned that the advancement in rebonding technology nowadays does not require 24-48 hours for the hair treatment to set in.

Final Thoughts
 The see through bangs that Yohei created for me was the highlight. It is the best fringe that any hair stylists have designed for my face shape and hair type. I was truly impressed! Though this see through fringe works would not work for all face shapes, it will not work suit ladies with shorter forehead. See through fringe works best for ladies with high forehead such as myself. The see through fringe changed my whole look. Dare I say that I looked younger because of this new fringe. Yohei explained that there was a reasoning behind this. Yohei explained that having a 50-50 proportion makes one appear younger. 50-50 proportion means that almost 50% of your face is covered by fringe. To appear more mature looking, ladies can opt for a longer fringe that does not cover the forehead.
Explaining the 50-50 proportion theory
The Transformation
                                      
                                   AFTER:  See through fringe to disguise my forehead
BEFORE: With my fully visible high forehead




AFTER: Nice layers in the front
BEFORE: With the awkward kink in my hair




AFTER: Yohei managed to maintain my hair length
BEFORE: The kink on my hair was awful!
I would definitely recommend Rubik Hair Salon to those looking for a pampering hair service experience. My experience at Rubik Hair Salon was like a luxurious spa resort. Yohei is an amazing hairstylist, and pays great attention-to-detail! details! I trust his knowledge and skills, and would not hesitate to come back for a haircut. My hair did not feel dry after the straightening and perming process. Though, I would have to point out that this Tokio Sinka System does not create a pin-straight or ultra smooth hair. For those who have curly hair, Tokio Inkarami might not be the right service for your hair type. Please check with the hairstylist at Rubik Hair Salon for other services that might be suitable for you.
Yohei managed to maintain my hair length 
My new hair looks nice in a ponytail as well
Soft and smooth hair

1 comment: