Monday 9 March 2015

Eyeliners Series 2: Comparison of Gel Eyeliners

GEL EYELINER

~AG~

This is my second favourite eyeliner type. Gel eyeliners are like colour paints that require a brush for application. This is the most versatile type of eyeliner, you can use it to create a fine tip or dramatic cat eye. However, the catch is, it requires lots of practice to get the results that you want. It took me more than 10 tries to finally get the eyeliner look that I want. So, don't give up if you are trying to use gel eyeliner and it does not give you the look that you want. Just keep on playing with it :)

For some people, gel eyeliner works great and stays on all day. But for me, the creamy formula seems to smudge off after a few hours. Even makeup artists' favourites such as the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner smudged on me. Do note that, gel eyeliner staying power is longer than that of pencil liner. However, I personally attest that felt-tip liner are the most long-lasting one. 

To successfully apply a gel eyeliner, you first need to invest in good eyeliner brushes. I recommend that you get at least two eyeliner brushes. One to create a soft eyeliner look and another for a bold look. Another great tip I learned is to brush excess eyeliner on the back of my hand for smooth application. This creates a clean and non-flakey eyeliner look. 


 
A slanted angle brush to create winged liner or cat eye. 

 

 
A fine eyeliner brush to line closest to the eyelids. Perfect for days when you want a no-makeup look.
 
MAC Cosmetics: Fluidline in Dipdown


 













 
MAC Fluidline

PROS:
  • This gel liner is creamy and easy to apply. 
  • It dries quickly on application which is good because I don’t have to keep my eyes closed for a long time (<30 seconds). 
  • This eyeliner can be used to draw fine lines or more dramatic lines such as winging. 
  • The color that I tried was Dipdown a rich brown shade. Even though it looks light brown on the pot, it is more pigmented in real-life. Great for everyday use.
  • More affordable than Bobbi Brown at US$16
CONS:
  • It still smudged to my bottom eye area even with eye primer and shadow. I was not expecting this after all the rave review.
P.S: Some people complain that this gel eyeliner dries out after a while but mine is still creamy after more than a year. A trick that the lady at the MAC counter told me is to put it back into its original box. She says it somehow helps reduce it from being dried out.

*If you are thinking of trying a gel liner, you should definitely try this out



Tony Moly Backstage Gel Eyeliner

PROS:
  • This gel liner is more creamy compared to MAC Fluidline
  • The packaging comes with a handy eyeliner brush, which is great for travelling
  • The most affordable gel liner that I have tried. If you purchase it in Korea, it costs less than US$10. 
CONS:
  • It smudged to my bottom eyelids after a few hours. It is more long-lasting then Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner. However, I would not recommend it in Singapore's humidity. I think it works better for non-humid weather.
Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner
Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner

PROS:
  • This gel liner is not as creamy compared to Tony Moly Backstage Gel Eyeliner or MAC Fluidline
  • For a recent wedding that I was a part of, the makeup artists used this on my waterline. It is safe to use on the waterline, it does not irritate the eyes.
  • This eyeliner can be used to draw fine lines or more dramatic lines such as winging. 
  • Very pigmented
CONS:

  • Expensive at US$25
  • It smudged to my bottom eye area after two hours of use. I was expecting it to be more long-lasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment