Monday 6 July 2015

REVIEW: Dove Nourishing Oil Care Serum

~AG~

This affordable argan oil serum from Dove. I bought this particular serum in Indonesia, but Dove also retails this product in Singapore. The packaging looks the same, the only difference is the price tag. I cannot remember the exact price but it was less than S$10.



Comes in a convenient pump packaging that has a protective cap


40 ml of product
It claims to:
  • tame even the most unruly hair
  • minimize frizz
  • nourish hair with argan and almond oil
  • not weight hair down
  • not leave a greasy feel 
The claims above seem too good for my frizzy and dry hair.
Can this serum from Dove really do all that magic?

The first thing to note is the signature Dove scent on this product. If you have you tried any of Dove products before, you will realized that they have the same underlying scent. Some people like it, while others do not appreciate it as much. As for me, Dove's signature musky scent is too overwhelming. I much prefer the natural scent of argan oil. In terms of texture, the serum is similar to other hair oil.

The good thing about this serum is that it is absorbed quickly into the hair. I have been using it for over two weeks now. One of its claims is TRUE, my hair does not feel greasy after application. However, I cannot support the other claims of the serum taming even the most unruly hair and minimizing frizz. My hair will still be as frizzy even after use. I thought my hair will be more controllable after applying the serum, but it did not help at all.

How do I apply it to my hair?
Since I have shoulder-length hair now, I dispense one pump of product. I rub the oil evenly on the palms of my hands before applying it only to the ends of my hair. It is important to apply the oil serum to the ends of my hair since there is where it is most prone to split ends. I avoid applying it to the top half of my hair because my scalp tends to get oily easily. Instead of applying it when my hair is wet, my previous hair stylist taught me to apply it when my hair is semi-dry.  A little science lesson. Oil does not mix well with water. When the hair is wet, the serum is not absorbed evenly onto the cuticles. It is more effective to apply it when it is semi-dry.

Even though I will still be using this oil care serum for now, I would not recommend it to you. It is not worth the ~S$10 I paid for it. I rather pay more for a product that works on my frizzy hair.
P.S: The reason for continued use is for its moisturizing properties. However, if I find a better serum for my frizzy hair, I will not hesitate to switch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment